Spain has 'Damaged Democracy'

 Carles Puigdemont said the European Union is failing to recognise the reality of the situation in Catalonia and failing to act in the face of "authoritarian actions".
"It is very disappointing to see that in a Europe Union that we are all a part of, they can respond to situations in Poland and Hungary but cannot respond to the situation in Catalonia," he said, speaking from a secret location in Brussels.

"To be treated like a criminal, like a drug trafficker, a paedophile, like a serial killer, I think this is abuse... this isn't politics, this is using the courts to do politics."
It's a threat because the crime I am accused of could result in 30 years in prison. It's madness. It's not justice. It's vengeance."
He added: "I am not a rebel. I don't have the spirit of a rebel nor the wish to be one. I consider myself to be very disciplined. I just want to carry out what my parliament has approved.
"This is very normal, there is nothing rebellious about that. It's very uncomfortable for me to have this role of a 'rebel' and I don't want to play it."

Comments